$20 Liberty Gold Double Eagle BU
The U.S. Mint issued its first Gold coins in 1795. During the height of the Great Depression in 1933, President Franklin Roosevelt prohibited American citizens from holding monetary Gold. He ordered all Gold coins be returned to the U.S. Treasury, where millions were melted into Gold and then cast into Gold bars. This was an unprecedented act to help fight the Great Depression. By doing so, many collectible Gold coins were affected and the course of history for monetary Gold was changed forever.
These federal government recalls and meltdowns made these previously common Gold coins very rare. Today, the surviving Pre-1933 Gold U.S. coins are fixed at an extremely limited supply. This fact has made Pre-1933 Gold coins some of the most desirable items among investors and collectors. NPMEX is proud to offer a superb selection of these harder-to-find classic coins. The historical significance of these coins is vitally important and will provide diversity and significance to any investment or collection.
$20 Gold Coin Design:
Several changes were made to the $20 Liberty Double Eagle design during the years the series was in production. Coins minted from 1850-1866, known as Type I coins, do not have the motto “In God We Trust” on the reverse. After the Civil War, in 1866, this motto was added to the coin, characteristic of the Type II design. The final change occurred in 1877, when the denomination was expressed as “TWENTY DOLLARS”, rather than “TWENTY D.” as used previously, resulting in the Type III design.
- Contains .9675 oz of Gold.
- Individual coins will come in protective packaging.
- Brilliant Uncirculated coins show full mint luster and no traces of circulation wear, but may exhibit handling or contact marks.
- Obverse: Shows Liberty, facing left, encircled by 13 stars with the word “Liberty” on her hair band.
- Reverse: Features a heraldic eagle with a shield on its breast with thirteen stars above. Surrounding the eagle is “United States of America” and the denomination.
- Designed by James B. Longacre.
- Minted from 1850-1907 at the Philadelphia, Carson City, Denver, New Orleans, and San Francisco Mints.
This Pre-1933 Gold coin combines a beautiful design and historical significance. Add this $20 Liberty Gold Double Eagle to your cart today!
Dates on these random year coins will be of our choosing and may or may not vary, determined by stock on hand.